The preseason accolades continue to stream in for the Wisconsin Badgers. The annual Maxwell Award, given to college football’s most outstanding player, announced its preseason watch list today. Among the players listed were three Wisconsin Badgers in James White, Montee Ball and Russell Wilson.
Having the entire Wisconsin backfield on the watch-list speak volumes for the talent the team features, as well as for the lofty expectations being placed on the Badgers by the media. These three will vie to become only the second Badger to win this prestigious award with the Great Dayne capturing the honor in 1999.
Overall, Wisconsin leads the way in the pre-season watch-list with three players while Michigan State boasts two in Edwin Baker and Kirk Cousins.
In total, the Big Ten features ten players on the Maxwell watch-list:
- Edwin Baker, RB, Jr., Michigan State
- Montee Ball, RB, Jr., Wisconsin
- Marcus Coker, RB, Soph., Iowa
- Kirk Cousins, QB, Sr., Michigan State
- Taylor Martinez, QB, Soph., Nebraska
- Dan Persa, QB, Sr., Northwestern
- Denard Robinson, QB, Jr., Michigan
- Nathan Scheelhaase, QB, Soph., Illinois
- James White, RB, Soph., Wisconsin
- Russell Wilson, QB, Sr., Wisconsin
Notably absent from the list is Ohio State, who, for the first time in quite a while, does not have a player represented on the watch-list. As far as snubs go, I was very surprised to see Nebraska’s Rex Burkhead, who rushed for 951 yards as a Sophomore for the Huskers last year, left off the pre-season list.